Capturing life's special moments.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Stone Barns with Garden Club

It has been a busy week for getting up to date with my blogging. I am finally catching up!

Yesterday I headed to one of my favourite places in Westchester - Stone Barns. This time without the children (they were disappointed to miss it). I met with Hedi, Stewart and our Tour Guide for the morning , Deborah. Having been a volunteer in the greenhouses at Stone Barns for several years Deborah was a wealth of knowledge on the subject of propagation and the successful running of the greenhouses at Stone Barns.

It was such a treat to me to listen to this "insiders" perspective. It also was a perfect opportunity for me to play with my camera!









We ventured outside to admire the terraced garden after our tour of the greenhouse. The dalias were in full bloom and being enjoyed by the bees, whilst the birds were feasting on the dried flower heads of the echinacea.





We spotted this huge grasshopper in the dalia bed!





This unusual plant is named Asclepias Gomphocarpus or commonly known as Balloon plant. (I had to google it!) Its main purpose is to provide food for the Monarch Caterpillars. I would love to try growing these next year. Watch this space.



Cardoon, commonly known as artichoke thistle. The stems of the plant are edible and are best served steamed or braised. The main root of the plant can also be enjoyed, boiled and then served cold.

Something else to think about for next years garden! I found this interesting recipe online using cardoons:

http://cookingwithamy.blogspot.com/2006/05/cardoon-gratin-recipe.html

I thoroughly enjoyed our tour today. Thank you Deborah.

I am so glad that Stewart was able to join us and thrilled that she will also become a member of Hill and Dale Garden Club.

Here is a little slideshow of my favs of the day.











No comments:

Post a Comment

About me

Debbie currently lives in Tarrytown, Westchester, NY with her husband and two sons. She loves cooking, entertaining as well as hiking, camping with her family and friends and of course taking photos!

Quote of the week

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

To schedule a session

Followers

Contributors